The Need of 1975
1975 Flood Insurance Program
A Resolution Evidencing the desire and need of the Borough of Bolivar, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania to participate in and comply with the regulations of the National Flood Insurance Program.
Whereas, the Council of Bolivar Borough, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, being cognizant of the recurring flooding and the threat of flooding of carious streams bordering Bolivar Borough and the resulting damage to property located within Bolivar Borough, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania; and
Whereas, there is a desire and need for this program of insurance of those who reside or hold title to property located within such flood prone areas' and
Whereas, relief is available in the form of flood insurance as authorized by the National Flood Insurance Act of 1968, as amended; and
Whereas, the regulations promulgated by the Federal Insurance Administration under said act requires:
1. An official legislative or executive act indicating a local need of flood insurance and / or desires to participate in the National Flood Insurance Program and
2. Reassurances in the form of action by the appropriate local legislative body committing the local legislative body to certain future causes of action; and
Whereas, the council of Bolivar Borough Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, is the appropriate local legislative body as authorized by the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code (PL247 of July 31 1968) to define water courses and to regulate this use of the land by enacting flood regulations.
Now therefore, be it resolved by the Council of Bolivar Borough, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania;
That Bolivar Borough, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, hereby evidences a positive interest in securing flood insurance coverage under the National Flood Insurance Program because of a clear danger of flooding and the resultant damage to property in the Borough of Bolivar; and
That it will comply with the regulations of the National Flood Insurance Program:
1. To recognize and duly evaluate flood hazards and or mudslide hazards ( i.e.: ,mud flow) in all official actions relating to land use in the areas having special flood hazards and or mudslide hazards (i.e.: need flow)
2. To take such other official action as may be reasonably necessary to carry out the objectives of the program. Such actions must include, but will not be limited to
a. Delineating or assisting the Administrator, at his request, in the delineation of the limits of the flood plain having special flood hazards and or mudslide hazards on available local maps of sufficient scale to identify the locations of building sites,
b. Providing such information as the Administrator may request concerning present uses and occupancy of the flood plain and or mudslide (i.e.: mud flow) areas.
c. Maintaining for public inspection and furnishing upon request with respect to each area having special flood hazard, information on elevations ( in relation to or near sea level) of the lowest floor on all new or substantially improved structures and, where there is a basement, the distance between the first floor and the bottom of the lowest opening where water flowing on the ground will enter.
d. Cooperating with Federal State and Local agencies and private firms which under take to study, survey, map and indentify flood plain or mudslide areas as well as cooperation with neighboring jurisdictions with respect to management of adjoining flood plains or mudslide areas in order to prevent aggravation of the flooding problem.
3. To appoint or designate the Council of Bolivar Borough, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, with the responsibility, authority and means to implement the commitment made herein and to submit on each anniversary date of the communities eligibility, and annual report to the Administrator on the progress made during the past year within the community in the development and implementation of flood plain and / or mudslide area management measures.
Passed this 1st day of December 1975
President of Council
Original on file in Ordinance Book page 201 & 202