Parks & Recreation
“RECREATION BOARD ORDINANCE”
AN ORDINANCE OF THE BOROUGH OF BOLIVAR, COUNTY OF WESTMORELAND AND COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA, CREATING A PARKS AND RECREATION BOARD AND ESTABLISHING THE RESPONSIBILITIES THEREOF.
WHEREAS, the Borough of Bolivar has determined that the improvement, maintenance, and use of the parks and public space within the Borough of Bolivar will be better administered by the creation of a Recreation Board; and
WHEREAS, the Borough of Bolivar wishes to establish a Parks and Recreation Board for the purposes of such administration; and
WHEREAS, the Borough of Bolivar is authorized to create a Recreation Board pursuant to 8 Pa. C.S §§ 2708, 2709, and 2710;
NOW THEREFORE, the following is ordained and enacted:
1. CREATION OF BOLIVAR BOROUGH PARKS AND RECREATION BOARD.
a. Bolivar Borough hereby creates a Parks and Recreation Board for the Borough of Bolivar (hereafter referred to as the “Parks and Recreation Board”). The Parks and Recreation Board shall serve the Borough Council as an advisory board only. The Parks and Recreation Board shall provide advice and recommendations for consideration by the Borough Council relating to Parks and Recreation facilities and organized recreation programs to enhance the quality of life for the residents of Bolivar Borough, including, but not limited to, community event planning and fundraising. The Parks and Recreation Board shall have an annual appropriation of $2,500.00 which the Borough Council shall appropriate each January. From this annual appropriation the Recreation Board may expend such sums and in such amounts as it shall deem appropriate, in furtherance of the goals set forth in sub-paragraph “b” below. Expenditure of this annual appropriation shall not require further approval of Borough Council but any expenditure from this appropriation shall require official action by a duly constituted quorum of the Parks and Recreation Board in accordance with the Sunshine Act. Upon such approval of the expenditure, an appointed member of the Parks and Recreation Board shall issue a request upon the Borough Treasurer for a check for such expenditure. The Parks and Recreation Board shall maintain records and receipts of all expenditures which shall be annually audited along with all other Borough accounts.
b. The goals of the Borough’s parks shall be:
1. To maintain the beauty and character of the areas.
2. To provide clean park environments.
3. To provide well equipped parks.
4. To maintain full functioning park equipment facilities.
5. To assist community groups and recreation activities/events.
6. To maintain fiscally sound park operation and management.
2. ORGANIZATION OF PARKS AND RECREATION BOARD.
a. Members, Qualifications and Compensation:
1. The Parks and Recreation Board shall consist of five (5) members.
2. Each member of the Parks and Recreation Board shall be appointed by Borough Council.
3. Members of the Parks and Recreation Board shall receive no compensation for their services, but shall be reimbursed by the
Borough for all expenses incurred, with prior approval by the Borough Council, and the performance of their duties.
b. Appointments and Term Lengths.
1. At the time of creation of the Borough Parks and Recreation Board, the Borough Council shall appoint one (1) of the members for a one (1) year term, a second member for a period of two (2) years, a third member for a period of three (3) years, a fourth member for a period of four (4) years, and the final member for a period of five (5) years. At the expiration of any initial member or successive member terms, the successive member shall be appointed for a period of five (5) years. In no event shall any term be more than five (5) years
c. Resignation and Removal of Members.
1. Any member of the Parks and Recreation Board may be removed by the Borough Council for dereliction or neglect of duty. At any time with written notice to the Borough Council, any Parks and Recreation Board member may voluntarily resign. The Borough Council shall fill the vacancies, which appointment shall be for the remainder of the term of the former member whose office has become vacant.
d. Meetings and Election of Officers.
1. At a minimum, the Parks and Recreation Board should meet on a quarterly basis each year. The officers of the Parks and Recreation Board shall consist of a chairperson, vice-chairperson, and secretary and such other officers as the Parks and Recreation Board shall deem necessary and useful. All officers shall be members of the Parks and Recreation Board. All officers of the Park and Recreation Board shall be elected by the Parks and Recreation Board at its first meeting each year, which shall serve as the Board’s annual reorganization meeting. All such officers shall serve for a period of one (1) year or until the successor is elected. In the event of a vacancy in any of the board offices, the members shall meet and elect members to fill the remaining term of the vacancy. Meetings shall be conducted in accordance with the policies and procedures as adopted by the Parks and Recreation Board.
e. At least one member of the Parks and Recreation Board shall attend each regular meeting of Borough Council and provide a report on the activities of the Parks and Recreation Board.
f. Appointment of Board Committees.
1. As necessary or convenient, the Parks and Recreation Board may create and appoint committees, including, but not limited to, committees to focus on the concerns of an individual borough park. The Chairperson of any committee shall be determined by the Board. Any other committee officers may be determined by the committee members. Committees shall meet on an as needed basis or regularly when event planning. Any committee recommendations or activities shall be reviewed and approved by the Board. In no event shall any committee consist of a quorum of the Parks and Recreation Board.
2. For special projects, as approved by the Borough Council, Parks and Recreation Board Committees may select, by majority vote, community volunteers outside of the Parks and Recreation Board to assist, as necessary, with the completion of tasks. However, in no event will any such community volunteer serve as a voting member of the Committee, unless such community volunteers are subsequently appointed to fill a vacant seat on the Parks and Recreation Board, by the Borough Council.
3. DUTIES OF CHAIRPERSON, ORDER OF BUSINESS, AND DUTIES OF CORRESPONDEING SECRETARY.
a. Chairperson Responsibilities. The Chairperson or in the Chairperson’s absence, the Vice-Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the Parks and Recreation Board and decide all points or order a procedure and perform all other duties required by law, in this Ordinance. The Chairperson shall serve as the Parks and Recreation Board’s liaison to the Borough Council.
b. Order of Business. The order of business to be implemented followed by the Chairperson at all Board meetings shall be as follows or as the Board shall determine:
1. Call to order
2. Approval of minutes
3. Public comment
5. Old business
6. Committee reports
7. New business
9. Next meeting
c. The Parks and Recreation Board Shall Elect a Secretary. The duties of the secretary shall include: keeping and maintaining regular meeting minutes,
including, but not limited to, recording the presence or absence of each member at a Board Meeting, recording the vote of each member (including the abstention or failure to vote) upon each question of the Board, carrying out all official correspondence of the Board, and sending out all notices from the Board. The secretary shall prepare the proposed agenda for each Board meeting, in conjunction with the Chairperson and deliver a copy to members of the Board in advance of each meeting.
4. MAINTENANCE OF OFFICIAL MEETING MINUTES.
a. Maintenance of Official Meeting Minutes. The Parks and Recreation Board shall keep minutes of each of its meetings. The minutes of each meeting shall be forwarded to the Borough secretary.
5. ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE FROM THE BOROUGH COUNCIL.
a. The Borough Council may provide suitable and convenient meetings, stationary, postage, printing and supplies, as may be necessary for the work of the Parks and Recreation Board as determined by Borough Council.
b. Additional Assistance for Professional Service from Borough Counsel. The Borough Council shall engage the services of such professional consultants or other experts, which as necessary for the work of the Parks and Recreation Board as determined by the Borough Council.
c. Designation of Lands. The Borough Council shall be responsible for any and all master plans to be prepared by a designated surveyor, planner, engineer, and architect. The Borough Council may, at its discretion, acquire other parks and recreational areas and facilities. In the event that new recreational areas and facilities are acquired, the Borough Council will file official plans with the Borough secretary. Each official plan will indicate the lands to be administered by the Parks and Recreation Board.
6. SUNSHINE ACT QUORUM AND PUBLIC PARTICIPATION.
a. Compliance with the Sunshine Act. All regular and special meetings of the Parks and Recreation Board shall be scheduled, advertised, held, and conducted in accordance with the requirements of the provisions of the Pennsylvania Sunshine Act, 65 Pa. C.S. § 701 at et. seq. The schedule of the monthly Board meetings shall be advertised annually by the Borough secretary in accordance with the Sunshine Act and until, and unless changed by written notice by the Board to the Borough secretary, and in accordance with the public notice requirements of the Sunshine Act, shall be held at least quarterly at the Bolivar Borough Municipal Building located at 622 Washington St, Bolivar, PA 15923, beginning at 7:00 p.m. or at such other time as places may be deemed convenient by the Parks and Recreation Board. At the discretion of the Chairperson or the request of two (2) or more members of the Board, special meetings shall be scheduled, advertised, held, and conducted in accordance with the foregoing.
b. Quorum. A majority of the members of the Parks and Recreation Board, then in office, shall constitute a Quorum of the Board. If less than the majority is present at any meeting, no official action may be taken at such meeting. A simple majority vote of those present at a duly convenient meeting shall be sufficient for Board action.
c. Public Participation. The public shall have the right to comment on matters, which are or may come before the Parks and Recreation Board at public meetings as provided by the Sunshine Act. Any requests by any person to be placed on the agenda of any meeting of the Parks and Recreation Board for formal consideration and action, on any matter, shall be submitted in writing to the Borough, not later than 12:00 noon, seven (7) days prior to the meeting, at which such person desires to be heard. The Parks and Recreation Board shall not be required to take action on any matter for which a timely request for agenda consideration and action has not been made. Late requests shall be rescheduled by the Chairperson for the next regular meeting.
d. Fundraising. As necessary or convenient various fundraising events for one (1) or more of the Borough’s parks may take place with the approval of the Borough Council. Funds raised for a specific park or parks shall be turned over and entrusted to the Borough treasurer for future use and expenditure at the Park or parks for which the fundraising events took place.
e. Donations. Any individual, group, or organization wishing to donate money, tangible or intangible items to a park or parks shall make such donations to the Borough Council accompanied by a letter stating and describing the specific donation or donations, and the park or parks for which the items are intended or donated.
7. RESPONSIBILITIES OF PARKS AND RECREATION BOARD.
a. Responsibilities. The Parks and Recreation Board is to be an advisory board of the Borough Council. The Borough Council will have final oversight of and responsibility over the management and operations of the Parks and Recreation Board. Their responsibility, more specifically, the Parks and Recreation Board shall be as follows:
1. To provide and advise for recommendations for consideration by the Borough Council with respect to capital planning and capital and general fund budgeting for parks and recreation purposes.
2. To recommend that the Borough Council proposed hours of operation for parks and recreational facilities and events.
3. To submit to the Borough Council by October 1 of each year, an annual inventory and assessment of the Parks conditions, equipment, and sites, including a recommendation regarding the repair and replacement needs of park and recreation facilities for budgeting purposes.
4. To submit an annual report to the Borough Council including an analysis of the adequacy and effectiveness of community recreation areas, facilities, and leadership.
5. To recommend for adoption rules and regulations for the Borough parks and recreational facilities to the Borough Council.
6. To coordinate the maintenance and repair schedules for schedules and activities for the Borough parks.
7. To plan and coordinate events and gatherings at the Borough parks.
8. EFFECTIVE DATE.
a. This Ordinance shall become effective on the first day of January 2018.
b. In the event that any provision of this Ordinance is deemed to be invalid or ineffective, the remaining portions shall continue unimpaired.
ENACTED AND ORDAINED this __5th_day of __October__, 2017.
BOROUGH OF BOLIVAR
Amy Lickenfelt, President
Bolivar Borough Council
Patricia Betts, Secretary
7 September 2017_ Date:
C. Thomas Pickup
C. Thomas Pickup, Mayor
C. Thomas Pickup, Mayor